In San Pedro, Averill Park is the best place to feed ducks. My kids absolutely love and we get to roll down a big grassy hill after feeding the ducks. Austin stole my phone and took selfies. This one made me laugh and I saved it!
Austin trying to keep Axel on the right side of the chain link fence:)
Love the view from behind of Austin helping Carolyne and Axel running ahead like a crazy man!
Are you talking to me?
Carolyne was chasing these ducks all over the grass and it was so dang cute!
The Easter bunny came and left a jelly bean poop in our toilet and our kids loved it! He said he forgot to flush.
Okay, I will smile for you!
Last Easter I bought the book "A Christ-Centered Easter" and decided I was going to try some of the activities within the book. I wasn't perfect but we had amazing experiences as a family with the activities that we did do. One of the things we did was make cinnamon rolls (Austin's favorite food) and deliver them to people who we felt needed them. We didn't know many people and knew where even less people lived....so Shirley introduced herself a couple of weeks earlier to me and helped me put Carolyne to sleep during Relief Society. She had asked me to call her and have her come help with the kids. I'm terrible at reaching out to others but Tom told me she had been in the hospital and I felt really guilty for not calling. I reached out and kind of forced myself upon her (which is not like me at all) and told her we were coming to visit. She suffers from depression and that is why she was in the hospital. She did not want to let us inside of her apartment but I promised we would only stay a minute. As soon as we walked in, the kids fell in love with her 2 puppies, fish tank, 2 bunnies, cat and bird outside. I tried to leave but the kids did NOT want to and Shirley asked us to stay. I could tell the kids were bringing her a lot of joy and her appearance was changing. We ended up staying for 3 hours. She told us how lonely she has been and hasn't been able to find work in a year. She was lacking purpose in her life. We visited again a few days later and I asked if she wanted me to pick her up and she could help me teach preschool when it was my turn. She lit up and said yes! When I brought her to my house, she helped with the children and seriously cleaned my whole house. She loves to work! We both felt so happy from helping each other. The picture below is Carolyne eating a popsicle with her. Bishop Nelson called Shirley to serve in the nursery and she is so happy back there! Shirley is not a typical depressed person. Every time I pick her up she is out on the curb waiting for me, dressed for the day, and has an amazing upbeat attitude! I have learned so much from her! We all need purpose. It is hard to feel happy when we don't feel that we matter to anyone on a daily basis. Our TINY act of service helped us discover one of our best friends. She watches Carolyne while I teach college. She serves in the nursery and has helped Carolyne be happy back there. She has made us Sri Lanka food. She threw Carolyne a huge birthday party with dinner, cake, and $30 Wal-Mart gift card. She changed our Easters forever! The other family we visited was the Milletts. They had just found out their 3 year old grandson had leukemia. God guided us and it was the best Easter I have ever experienced! Hope to continue these traditions!
Saturday, January 31, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment